15/16 Mardol, Shrewsbury is a Grade II* Listed, fine timber frame building dating from around 1600. Originally the elevation onto Mardol was subject to a Victorian makeover, with a shallow first floor jetty and decorative balustrading infill panels. There were two dormer windows on the front elevation, the gap between the structures infilled with subsidiary dormer.
In 1988 the practice carried out extensive repairs to the building, during the course of which the original arrangement of a pair of double height bay windows was uncovered. This instigated extensive archaeological research and a reinstatement of the original arrangement, with a pair of double height bay windows with cusped, quatrefoil infill panels and balustraded studding at each floor.
Subsequently, the practice carried out internal alterations to create office accommodation on the second floor. During the 1990s work was carried out in the cellars to create dry storage space.
Most recently we were tasked with converting the second floor into rental accommodation and undertaking a complete overhaul of the external decoration, including timber repairs to the rear. This also included the provision of fire partitioning and escape routes.
Further proposals for the building include converting the ground and first floor to house a wine bar.