The Roman Catholic Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist was constructed between 1844 and 1848 to the designs of Weightman and Hadfield and opened in 1848. When Arrol Architects were appointed it became immediately apparent that there was the need for urgent stonework conservation and repair of the North porch external masonry as well as a pressing need to improve the paving and hard landscape design at the external approach to the north porch.
Following a successful application for funding from the First World War memorial Fund in 2016, works commenced in Autumn 2017 to renew some of the roof covering, repair the slate roof and providing safe access for roof maintenance.
A medieval aedicule within the Porch was repaired using mortar repair techniques. The outside courtyard to the South of the Cathedral has been upgraded to form a Piazza that greatly improves the visual amenity of the open space by create a circular gathering space with stone pavings and new lighting. By adopting a circular geometry, it has be possible to build a circular screen wall just to the west of the north porch which allows the Cathedral’s waste bins and dustbins to be concealed.